Written by Forrest Wall, CAE, Vice President Government Affairs and Industry Relations
House of Representatives Passes Emotional Support Animal Legislation
Just prior to the COVID-19 shutdown the Michigan House of Representatives passed legislation supported by AAM to strengthen state law to help prevent the false representation of possession of an emotional support animal (ESA). House Bill 4910, introduced last September, would create the “Misrepresentation of Emotional Support Animals Act.” This bill proposes the following:
- A definitional framework for state law
- Bars individuals and health care providers from falsely representing a disability or possession of an ESA
- Allow disability documentation requests by housing providers after resident signs authorization
- Requirements for health care providers who prescribe ESAs
- Criminal penalties for violations of the law
- Allowance for lease termination for false representation
- Directive to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights to establish a hotline which would receive reports of false representations and complaints
A second bill, House Bill 4911, would amend the Revised Judicature Act to support termination of a lease for misrepresentation of an emotional support animal. Both of the bills now move to the Michigan Senate for consideration.
AAM COVID-19 Resource Page
A reminder that AAM has established a COVID-19 resource page at www.apartments.org. This resource page includes CDC guidance and business information to help rental property owners.
Some AAM Members hold a Michigan Residential Builders License even though they may not be currently building. If you wish to maintain your license, please remember that the State of Michigan requires you to complete three hours of “continuing competency” by your license renewal deadline of May 31, 2020. AAM and HBA are holding three hour classes (covering each of the required categories – one hour codes, one hour legal and one hour safety) which will provide you what you need to comply. Visit HBA’s website for online registration at www.builders.org/events.php.